The Guaraciaba City
The term Guaraciaba has indigenous origin, meaning “Sun color hairs”. The population of the region where today is the city of Guaraciaba had its beginning ath the end of the XVIIIth century , and is connected to the gold mines at the Bacalhau River banks, by the prospectors from Ouro Preto and Mariana.
At the meeting of Piranga and Bacalhau Rivers the population started, and was known as Barra do Bacalhau, after that Santana de Guaraciaba and finally Guaraciaba. In 1948, December 27th the municipality becomes independent. Located at the Forest Zone, with a 353 Km² area, and a mountainous landscape, with the titanium, gold and another iron formation in its basement. Also, the city has a great hydraulic potential made by the Bacalhau, Turvo and Piranga Rivers.